1. The PowerPoint presentations are always 10+ slides and each slide is crammed with more words than a Bombay local at peak hours.
2. ….which the presenter reads, line by line, slowly.
3. No meetings ever start and end on time and there is no pre published agenda
4. There are no clear goals so people obsess and focus on behaviors.
5. In the rulebook the DON’T List is longer than the DO list.
6. The dress code is more than 20 words long. (btw Google’s dress code: You must wear clothes).
7. Firing a staff takes longer than hiring a staff
8. There is a bias towards NON-ACTION and more meetings ‘to discuss’
9. Everything is done either on Excel or PowerPoint. No one has heard about Dropbox/Basecamp/Slack.
10. There is a deep, dark, rich culture of CC’ing and BCC’ing
11. Stock solution to an client escalation/complaint is “Standardization!” or More QC’ing.
12. Candor is considered unseemly.
13. The Q&A session after a presentation is even more tepid and boring than the presentation.
14. Meetings that should ideally be emails are the norm.
15. People prefer emailing versus picking up the phone or (godforbid) walking across to their colleagues.
16. Everything needs an approval email from the boss.
17. People use ‘Sir’ when speaking to or about a senior colleague.
18. There are emails that start with “Dear All“.
19. People are expected to bond at ‘Off sites’.
20. No one tweets at/about your workplace.